Thursday, October 10, 2013

Feeling Ready, Experimenting with Fueling Strategies, and Conquering a 19-Miler

When my NYRR Training Week #9 Schedule arrived in my inbox, I knew I'd have my longest run yet on the agenda for the week.

The training guide used effective foreshadowing and alluded to it last week by stating the following in regards to the 11 mile run I had that week: "you'll scoff at the distance run this week, but you need to squeeze a shorter distance in between your 2 longest runs." I knew it was coming. I've never run this far before, so the night before the run, I chugged water, made a nice pasta dinner, and went to Sports Authority to pick up some gatorade chews, energy gel, and a Camelbak so I could stay hydrated and not end up face down on the trail somewhere. I always thought these Camelbaks looked awkward and clunky, but my hydration comes first!

I opted for the Chester Valley Trail this time around; a winding, scenic trail that effortlessly combines dark, wooded stretches with open, sunny trail space. The way the scenic woods transitions into the sunny open space makes this trail a little more energizing than Struble.

I actually went for a late evening run there last week and as I entered the dark stretch of the woods, the sun set. Being the 5 year old kid that I am, I blasted my headphones and sprinted like a Kenyan towards the homestretch for fear of forest-dwelling hermits, creepers and monsters emerging from the woods. Your head really does some interesting things when you run.

Anyway, I won't break this run down mile by mile, but let me just say that opting for a fueling strategy this time around was absolutely pivotal.

If you go for a run longer than 16 miles, I'd highly recommend the following strategy (assuming you have a Camelbak).


  • Every 20 minutes, take a swig or 2 of gatorade from your Camelbak
  • At mile 13, indulge in a small packet of energy gel. This time around, I chose strawberry banana. I don't know if it was the deliriousness of the long run, but the taste was almost orgasmic
  • As you cool down, have a pack of 6 gatorade energy chews
Aside from the fact that I couldn't get out of my car after getting gas post-run (my hip and achilles tendon felt like they were on fire), it was a successful run. I ran it at a pace of 8:27 per mile (my anticipated marathon pace) and because I survived with flying colors, I treated myself to a Wendy's double cheeseburger meal before I had to go teach tennis for the afternoon.

For every long run, I try a different training playlist. My first one, I enjoyed the earth shattering, mind numbing beats of my dubstep/electronica mix to help zone me to the end. This one contained a little more hard rock, pop and contemplative pop rock anthems. This song powered me through a few key moments: 



I'm thinking that this will be the longest run of my training and it was great to not only get it out of my system, but to do so successfully. My training plan prepared me for the chance that the run may not go well. Let's just say, I don't think I'm going to take 2 days off. Looks like my legs won't be thanking me any time soon. 

"What if your Long Run does not go well? Although you will undoubtedly be upset, you can learn a lot from this. First off, try to determine anything that may have contributed to your bad day. Did you forget to fuel, sleep poorly, get a blister, have a bad dinner the night before, etc? If this was the case, then you just learned what not to do for the marathon. If you did everything right, then perhaps you are a bit tired. We have plenty of time to rest up but it would be a good idea if you take the next 2 days completely off. Yes, that is fine and your legs will thank you."

Post Run Thoughts: As I inhaled my gatorade chews, checked my emails, and somehow willed my legs to walk back to my car, I realized I wasn't THAT fatigued. Sure my legs felt like jelly and my head was spinning like I just inhaled one of those helium balloons, but my lungs and my heart were ready for more. If I can maintain this pace on race day, feed off the adrenaline of the crowd and not get excited and jump the gun early on..well...I'll let this guy tell you how I'm feeling. Let's just hope I don't run the wrong way...





No comments:

Post a Comment