Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Survived My First Long Run!

Todays New York Road Runner Race Plan called for a grueling 16 mile run. My first real distance run of the training, and the longest amount of consecutive miles I've ever ran. Leading up to the run, I knew I was physically capable of handling it and knew it would all come down to my mental fortitude. I'd have to really be in a good, positive mental state in the morning.

After some sub-par, anxiety plagued sleep the night before, I was feeling a little hazy and worried as I pulled up to the Struble Trail on this sunny Tuesday morning, the Preston and Steve show giving me my pre-run entertainment. I started to slightly question my mental strength and physical aptitude as I approached the trail, flipped on my Nike running application and got going. I distinctly remember my thought process as well, so here goes...

Mile 1 - I started off slow and per usual, I let my mind wander as I eased into my run. The inevitability of my playlist was a little discouraging, but I pressed on at a nice easy pace

Mile 4 - Should I continue this easy pace? I'm barely even breaking a sweat. The way Hall and Oates led effortlessly into Jimi Hendrix's effortless guitar solo allowed me to finally start getting lost in my run.

Mile 6 - I ran through the full course once and my car was in sight. Should I just give up and call it a decent 6 mile run? Nah, I'll press on. I started thinking about tattoos. I should go straight from this run to M and M tattoos and get a tattoo about running or about how "life is a journey."

Mile 7 - All I could think about was how I would reward myself in 9 miles when this run was finished. Should I opt for the triple cheeseburger and fries at Wendy's? The asiago ranch chicken? Nah, Wendy's is too far out of my way. Maybe that dorito loco taco they always advertise at taco bell

Mile 10 - My calves started to burn, I picked up the pace a bit and I went for a slight detour down the Uwchlan trail. Despite the dull burn in my calves, I could feel myself hitting my stride

Mile 12 - The bossman came in and provided some energy to my run. I hit the Springsteen block of my playlist. As Clarence came in and breezed through his sax solo in "Badlands" and the crowd erupted into its trademark chant, my endorphins kicked in and I was cruising.



Mile 14 - The end was near and I knew I needed only one more loop. The casual nature that the other trail inhabitants exhibited as they casually walked and socialized on the trail annoyed me the slightest bit. As did the mysterious smell of cigarette smoke hovering from a nearby construction site.  I guess I felt that if I'm trying to bust out 16 miles, everyone else should be putting forth a similar effort.

Mile 16 - I didn't feel much of a sense of accomplishment yet. The most prevalent thought in my mind was "when I stop running will my legs seize up?" They didn't. Off to Wawa.

I picked up the pace gradually as the run continued and was able to finish my last mile at a sub 8 minute pace. A milkshake, a power bar, a reeses cup, and a massive jug of gatorade later, I was in my bed power napping the day away before my tennis classes started. All in all a beautiful day and a successful run.

Looking forward to the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment