Monday, August 19, 2013

Done with Week 1!

So week 1 of training is over, and I have to admit, a few of my early training runs started a bit like this clip you’re about to see. Well, minus the raspy AM radio, the ungodly hour, the raw egg consumption, and a battle with the World Heavyweight Champion looming a mere 11 weeks from now:



But while watching this, I did think that I should honor “The Italian Stallion” and ascend the Art Museum stairs for at least one of my interval days. When I do this, I'll certainly post about it, most likely in a position similar to this (from atop Vitkov Hill in Prague): 



So back to the training. During week 1, I was  eased into it with the custom training program from the New York Roadrunners Club. Since I’m part of the USTA Serves Charity, I was given access to this customized training program, specifically designed for me, my speed, my goals, my BMI and the New York course. 

It’s fantastic and very specific. Everything is custom tailored, from the pace, to the distance, to the types of runs.  We’re talking long runs,  flex days, tempo runs, fartlek runs, runs as you feel, intervals, and everything in between.

Temptations: A few early training temptations presented themselves this week, and I must say, I did pretty well. I refrained from several late night outings, opting to make an appearance, hang out, and leave at a reasonable hour instead (there were a few birthdays this week), I stuck to my training, and I ate pretty well (lots of turkey burgers, spinach, egg whites, and my weakness, coffee).

The only setback was my favorite locally brewed spiced tripel ale: Golden Monkey. It was my Dad’s birthday and we went to Victory Brewing Company for dinner. Of course, my brother suggested that we splurge on a 24 pack of Golden Monkey for my Dad’s birthday. Being a GM aficionado, I obliged, and have indulged a few times. But my training runs have certainly not suffered.



Also, the power that cold, leftover pizza has over a hungry guy is insurmountable. 

I was spending some time at my mom’s house, and a whole pie was just sitting there; untouched, uneaten. Looking extra greasy and ready for immediate consumption There’s indulgence #2 for the week.

One key mistake I made was improper hydration. I'd run in the morning, throw back a glass of water, then go about my day. Or if I ran at Planet Fitness, I'd make a few quick pitstops at the water fountain and call that hydration. Fail. I learned this week that I need to be drinking much more water while simultaneously increasing my electrolyte intake. You live and you learn. Next week, next week. 


All in all, I handled the 18 miles in week 1 quite well, and even got 3 days of lifting in as well. I was actually quite tempted to up the pace a little bit, push myself, and leave it all out there on the trails at Rhondda or the Planet Fitness treadmills (both of which I ran on quite frequently). But I’m sticking to my training and my times. Sure, every now and then I’ll get the testosterone and endorphin infused desire to push myself well beyond the recommended pace, but I'm trying to fight the urge.

Week 2 is similar to week 1, but with just a few more miles to log in. I'm sure my desire to nap will increase a bit this week, as will my desire to hit the snooze button, but I'm really energized by this.
I'm really looking forward to the remaining 11 weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment